Re: Orca Speech Dispatcher and (was Re: new user with a few questions)

Hi,

Willie Walker wrote:
I think we can easily get the code into Orca, much like we have done with Emacspeak, but there are bigger issues I'd like too think about,
such as: should Speech Dispatcher replace gnome-speech?  Should Speech
Dispatcher become part of GNOME?  What would doing this mean?  Who will
support it?  Will we get all the functionality we need?

I think there is allot going for speech dispatcher. Namely it's independence from gnome, and can be used by a wide variety of screen reader solutions. One thing I have invisioned for Solaris, Linux, and FreeBSD accessibility for quite a long time is a uniform set of speech drivers that can be used by several different assistive technologies. I can imagine a time where emacspeak, orca, gnopernicus, etc all uses the same set of drivers for a wide range of different tts engines and hardware based synthes. With a single set of drivers new comers can help upgrade the existing framework as well as have a central framework and API to work with. If someone wants to make some kind of scan and read OCR package for Linux he/she would naturally use the existing core API for speech weather it bee gnome-speech, speech-dispatcher, etc... At this point speech dispatcher seams to be the one solution that is attempting this goal of a uniform set of speech drivers.