Re: Client *and* server?

Hi Katherine,

> On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 17:02, Katherine Goude wrote:
> > I've updated to glib-2.0.3 which has given me a much clearer error message, which
> > is "Glib-WARNING **: g_main_context_prepare(): main loop already active in another
> > thread"
>
> 	Hmm, interesting - looks like you're trying to run the main loop in 2
> threads; and you begin to hit the limits of what ORBit2 can do I'm
> afraid. I'm hoping Sebastian is interested in helping you ...

Looks like you are calling g_main_context_prepare() without calling
g_main_context_acquire() before?

I would however need to know more about your specific problem to suggest
a proper solution.

> > >         It is unlikely that threads will help you solve any ORBit problem, but
> > > they will significantly confuse almost anything :-)
> >
> > So is that a "no"? I'm confused about the difference between a multithreaded ORB
> > and using an ORB in a multithreaded environment. Do you need the former if you're
> > doing the latter?
>
> 	You can use the ORB in a multi-threaded environment, as long as you
> process all your incoming calls, and make all your outgoing calls from a
> single thread. We very much hope to expand ORBit2 to work better in a
> threaded environment, but it needs work, and no-one is currently doing
> it it seems.

Just I'm preparing an update release of ORBit-mt-0.5.17, which has all
the bugfixes of ORBit-0.5.17 and some of its own, but just now I'm
afraid looking at ORBit2-mt is not possible for me.

Bye,
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wilhelmi