Re: excessive dependency: libIDL calling gcc!

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 10:41:44AM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:

> We had to jump through a couple of hoops because of this problem.  We
> would love to get rid of this runtime dependence on gcc in the perl
> and python bindings.

> (Our scenario is the use of CORBA::ORBit in a cgi-bin script, where
> the http server's $PATH is beyond our control, and does not contain
> gcc.)

If you're rolling your own ORBit, you could use a variant of my patch,
with the path to cpp hard-coded.  Using cpp gives a much lighter-
weight dependency.  (Or you might be able to use my patch unmodified
along with Elliot's suggestion for setting the path in your cgi.)

The biggest problem is trying to make all of this portable.  For a
particular platform or system, some variant of my patch should be
adequate.  But my patch isn't portable, and may need hand-tweaking on
many platforms, so it's really not suitable for inclusion in the
source.

cheers
--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr debian org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single