Re: excessive dependency: libIDL calling gcc!

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Chris Waters wrote:

> Yep, absolutely.  But it should depend on the preprocessor, not the
> compiler, since it's only using the preprocessor.  Lots of things use
> cpp (perl and xdm, for example).
>
> Anyway, I think the preference for "gcc -E" over "cpp", even when both
> are available, is autoconf's fault, so it might be worth talking to
> the autoconf folks about this.

I know 'gcc -E' defines some macros that cpp doesn't, at least in a few
versions of gcc. (people may remember imake breakage I think).

autoconf may also be to blame for the actual detection process.

All I really want to do is encourage people to submit patches to make
their favorite preprocessor be detected and utilized.

-- Elliot
A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place.
	(WC Fields)