Re: excessive dependency: libIDL calling gcc!

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 12:36:00PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:

> Anyways, given that the whole cpp syntax is pretty important to IDL and a
> lot of .idl files, I think libIDL is going to depend on some sort of cpp
> for a very long time.

Yep, absolutely.  But it should depend on the preprocessor, not the
compiler, since it's only using the preprocessor.  Lots of things use
cpp (perl and xdm, for example).

Anyway, I think the preference for "gcc -E" over "cpp", even when both
are available, is autoconf's fault, so it might be worth talking to
the autoconf folks about this.

> If anyone has patches to make it depend more cpp's
> from other compilers, that would be great.

I think that the perl folks may have dealt with this issue already, so
maybe I'll dig through the perl sources and see if I can find any
useful tricks.  Elliot, you might have more clout with the autoconf
people, if you want to try talking to them -- otherwise, I can give it
a shot.

cheers
--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr debian org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single