Re: login and google accounts

Havoc Pennington wrote:
Hi,

Talked to Bryan about how to do this.
Overall I hope we can keep this unobtrusive because it's somewhat of a backwards-compatibility issue for people trying to transition from existing accounts; if you log in from a Live CD or whatever things should work as expected for now. Though we do need to do the weblogindriver dialog asking what you want to do.
Our thought is to have a Google
Accounts dialog. It will basically have fields for username and
password for a "regular" google account, and username, password, and
"url" for a AFYD account.

One thought is to treat GAFYD as something that will generally be set up by a system administrator and possibly not even have it in the UI. Would probably make things significantly cleaner from a visual/interaction flow (no dangling GAFYD login box if you have no idea what GAFYD is).
I guess an open question is how you open the dialog when you have one
working account already and just want to add a second one. "A button
somewhere"
Are you talking about multiple Google accounts (i.e. people with two GMail accounts), or just Google + GAFYD?

Another open question is how/whether this is synced with e.g. a GTalk
IM client. One possible answer is to just share the gconf and
gnome-keyring keys, and possibly the python module that includes
prefilling from data model and login driver, with both BigBoard and
anyone else that wants to use it. Another possibility is to add this
stuff to web-login-driver rather than bigboard. Not sure.

The main technical limit with using gnome-keyring as the password store between multiple applications is there's no notification of changes. Maybe we could work around this by pairing each with a GConf key and saying apps have to listen to the corresponding GConf key. The other gnome-keyring issues like "Allow or Deny?" are generic upstream bugs.