Re: [gnome-love] Compiling 2.15.90 [Was: Re: Compiling 2.15.4]

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 17:00:07 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
On 8/4/06, Magnus Therning <magnus therning org> wrote:

Now onto the next problem... gtk+ :(

Configuration ends with

 checking Pango flags... configure: error:
 *** Pango not found. Pango built with Cairo support is required
 *** to build GTK+. See http://www.pango.org for Pango information.

gtk+ checks that pkg-configure knows about pangocairo. It seems that
package doesn't exist :( How do I get Pango to build a package with
Cairo support? (I have pangoft2 and pangox.)

I wonder if this was a case of using a different freetype here than the
one you used when you built pango.

Nope, I doubt that's the case. pango depends on cairo, which depends on
fontconfig, which depends on freetype. So it seems the build order
should be correct here.

Anyway, for configure problems, I tend to go to the module's directory,
open up the config.log file, and then search for the output near the
error (e.g.  'checking Pango flags' in this case).  That may provide
more information.

Ah, that might be an easier option than what I did, which was look at
configure.in and search for pango-related stuff.

In this case, it seems to be calling pkg-config.  What's the output of
 pkg-config --cflags pango pangocairo
?  What's the output of
 ls $prefix/lib/pkgconfig/pango*

Yeah, that's what I found as well :-)

 % /opt/tarball-gnome2/bin/pkg-config --cflags pangocairo
 Package pangocairo was not found in the pkg-config search path.
 Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pangocairo.pc'
 No package 'pangocairo' found

 % ls /opt/tarball-gnome2/lib/pkgconfig/pango*
 /opt/tarball-gnome2/lib/pkgconfig/pangoft2.pc
 /opt/tarball-gnome2/lib/pkgconfig/pango.pc
 /opt/tarball-gnome2/lib/pkgconfig/pangox.pc

Well, I followed your advice and took a look at the config.log in pango
and found several lines similar to the following:

 /opt/tarball-gnome2/lib/libcairo.so: undefined reference to `XRenderQueryExtension'

Apparently Xrender.h wasn't present when building cairo. If pango
depends on cairo being built with the xrender backend shouldn't we add a
--enable-xlib-xrender=yes to autogenargs for cairo?

So, how do I tell jhbuild to re-build and re-install a specific package?

`buildone cairo` doesn't seem to do it:

 % jhbuild -m ~/prog/gnome/jhbuild/2.15.90/gnome-2.15.90.modules buildone cairo
 *** success *** [1/1]

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.