Re: [gnome-love] interested in implementing a (the) newsreader for Gnome?

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 11:41 -0700, Alan Bailward wrote:
On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 15:20 +0300, Toni Willberg wrote:

Also, I'd like the future client to use some external nntp library.
Afaik Pan uses something self-implemented.

A good candidate for the NNTP library would be libEtPan
(http://libetpan.sourceforge.net/). The NNTP part doesn't seem to be
very well documented, but I've used the SMTP/IMAP parts of it and
found
them to be very good.

Just out of interest why have the client use an external library?  Right

Because that's a lot smarter than reinventing the wheel (and thereby
wasting developer time and resources) for no reason other than the NIH
Syndrome.

now the number of modules needed in gnome is huge, and you don't want it
to get bigger.

Yes, because rewriting existing code and making the existing modules
bloat needlessly to include code that really doesn't need to be included
is such a better situation.

If an external library makes implementing the client easier, and thus
helps result in a more stable and correct client, then the developer
should be encouraged 100% to use the external library.

That said, including a library for sending mail _is_ bloat, because we
already have a standard module in GNOME 2.8 for handling all mail:
evolution-data-server.

I would argue that it'd be far more useful to add NNTP support to e-d-s
(even if that means using an external high quality NNTP library).  That
way you can still have a separate frontend/UI just for news, also have a
UI in Evolution (if that's what you want), and any other applications
can also hook into e-d-s and get all the functionality there-in.  You'd
also get the address book and presence stuff working basically for free,
which makes a helluva lot of sense.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.