[gnome-love] Re: interested in implementing a (the) newsreader for Gnome?

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:52:54 +0300, Toni Willberg wrote:

Some ideas for the UI, that are missing/wrong in current newsreader
implementations:
 - treeview with multiple roots (servers)

I think a common list, combining newsgroups and articles from all
configured servers, helps more.  It could be augmented with the
possibility to organize newsgroups into user-defined folders.

 - HIG compliant
 - easy to use; I want my mom to be able to use to :) - minimalistic
 features; it's a newsreader not a nuclear plant...

Pan is supposed to get a database-driven backend (well, not Oracle, some
lighter stuff, but still SQL) which is said to help performance a lot.
Hopefully, the race conditions that Pan's current homegrown database has
will disappear during the rewrite.  Maybe GNOME NR could use that and plug
a different UI on it.  Sounds like good code being reused to me, and it's
being written anyway...

Anyway, I'm happy to hear someone is thinking of this.  I like Pan a lot
because I came from Gravity, but it still has lots of room for
improvement, and a fresh start on clean slate might produce the better UI
design.

--
Best Regards,  | I couldn't afford a cool signature,
 Sebastian     | so I just got this one.