[gnome-love] Re: interested in implementing a (the) newsreader for Gnome?

Toni Willberg <toniw iki fi> writes:

Hello world.

Is there anyone else out there who can't find the right newsreader for
your taste?

Some ideas for the UI, that are missing/wrong in current newsreader
implementations:
 - treeview with multiple roots (servers)
 - HIG compliant
 - easy to use; I want my mom to be able to use to :)
 - minimalistic features; it's a newsreader not a nuclear plant...

Ok, now it's your turn to use the cluebat and tell what you think about
this. ;)

Ive been thinking about something like this for a while as well.  Ive
been looking at it more from the point of view of a gnus type
mail/news reader.  I currently use gnus because it comes closest to
what I want my mail/news reader to do, but I would love to have a
gnome app that does this in a hig compliant and easy to use way.  Also
to accomplish the minimalistic features requirement, I was thinking
about only implementing the basic parts of the apps and then putting
in an interpreter for python or another similar language to provide an
easy interface for plugins.  I know python can easily be embedded and
guile is another language that could be used.
This is probably more than you wanted, but its something Ive been
thinking about.

--
Scott Henson <scotth csee wvu edu>