Re: trying to bond ethernet and wifi with no luck

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 06:25:14AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
On Tue, 2018-05-22 at 07:58 +0200, Beniamino Galvani wrote:

Hi,

Hi.

bond-slave-wlp3s0-1 is of type 'ethernet', while it should be
'wifi'. You can create the wifi connection using your favorite
graphical tool or nmcli and then change its master to the bond in
this
way:

 nmcli connection modify $wifi-slave-con \
                         connection.master bond0 \
                     connection.slave-type bond

Ahhh.  OK.  This does seem to work.

But I have to add "wifi" to the bonded connection by (AP) name?  I
cannot have a generic "placeholder" than means "whichever AP is near
and I am already authenticated to" such that as I move around, the wifi
slave of the bond may change?  I.e. in the same manner as having
multiple (unbonded) wifi connections in NM.

Master-slave relationships work by having a master connection and one
or more slave connections. When a slave connection is activated, it
also activates its master connection (if needed) and then enslaves
itself to the master.

Since you can be authenticated to multiple APs, this means that you
have multiple Wi-Fi connections, each with a different SSID and
secrets. You should change them all as described in the previous mail
so that they will be added to the bond when they activate.

It is not possible to generically say "wlp4s0 is enslaved to bond0
whichever AP I am connected to" because NM is connection-based. For
example, you could have both a 'home-wifi-slave' and a 'home-wifi'
connections for the same AP. When you activate the first, the wifi
interface will become part of the bond, but if you activate the second
it will not.

Beniamino