Re: ANN: NetworkManager 1.1.91 (1.2-beta2) released

On Mon, 2016-03-21 at 10:08 -0500, Robby Workman wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 12:48:35 +0100
Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com> wrote:

On Mon, 2016-03-21 at 01:32 -0500, Robby Workman wrote:

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:10:21 +0100
Beniamino Galvani <bgalvani redhat com> wrote:

I'm pleased to announce the release of the second beta version
of
NetworkManager 1.2 (1.1.91), and the same version of nm-applet,
nm-connection-editor and VPN plugins.

3. This is related to #1. It seems as though maybe this is a
   configurable option based on the NEWS file contents, but
without
   manual pages to reference, it's not clear. Essentially, we
   (Slackware) depend on /etc/resolv.conf being a regular file
due
   to the fact that everything else on our system (including our
   distro-specific networking scripts) manipulate it directly.
   Having NM replace it with a symlink to an NM-specific location
   is not desirable at all. Is there a way to configure NM to use
   /etc/resolv.conf directly instead?
How is it supposed to work to have different components all writing
/etc/resolv.conf?

That's never been an issue for us. If a user configures networking
with
our distro-specific network scripts, then those scripts manage
resolv.conf.
If a user configures networking with wicd, then wicd manages
resolv.conf.
If a user configures networking with NM, then NM manages resolv.conf.

Hi Robby,

Added new configuration option which should do what you requested:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=2f6517df432bcbc1df6d74d824daa7c3ecdb3c2e

For downstream to make this the default, you could either patch
  -     priv->rc_manager = NM_DNS_MANAGER_RESOLV_CONF_MAN_NONE;
  +     priv->rc_manager = NM_DNS_MANAGER_RESOLV_CONF_MAN_FILE;
in
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/src/dns-manager/nm-dns-manager.c?id=2f6517df432bcbc1df6d74d824daa7c3ecdb3c2e#n1478

But maybe it's preferable to install a file
  /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/00-rc-manager-file.dns
with

  [main]
  rc-manager=file

as part of your package. That way, a user who builds NM from source
gets the configuration too.
Also, he can disable loading of this file by putting a (possibly empty)
file /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/00-rc-manager-file.dns

(verify the result with `/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --print-config`)

Thomas