Re: ANN: NetworkManager 1.1.91 (1.2-beta2) released

On Mon, 2016-03-21 at 01:32 -0500, Robby Workman wrote:
On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:10:21 +0100
Beniamino Galvani <bgalvani redhat com> wrote:

I'm pleased to announce the release of the second beta version of
NetworkManager 1.2 (1.1.91), and the same version of nm-applet,
nm-connection-editor and VPN plugins.

3. This is related to #1. It seems as though maybe this is a
   configurable option based on the NEWS file contents, but without
   manual pages to reference, it's not clear. Essentially, we
   (Slackware) depend on /etc/resolv.conf being a regular file due
   to the fact that everything else on our system (including our
   distro-specific networking scripts) manipulate it directly.
   Having NM replace it with a symlink to an NM-specific location
   is not desirable at all. Is there a way to configure NM to use
   /etc/resolv.conf directly instead?

How is it supposed to work to have different components all writing to
/etc/resolv.conf?

As it is now, NM will *always* update
/var/run/NetworkManager/resolv.conf.

Then, if you configure NetworkManager.conf with
  [main]
  dns=none
NM
will do nothing further.

Otherwise, if /etc/resolv.conf doesn't exist or is a regular file, NM will symlink it to
/var/run/NetworkManager/resolv.conf.
If /etc/resolv.conf is already a symlink to another file, NM does again nothing (because it assumes some
other component manages resolv.conf).
See
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/src/dns-manager/nm-dns-manager.c?id=b907d90f612818050f4a88d7b3f30ffd19c4e929#n601

Thomas