Re: ANN: NetworkManager 1.1.91 (1.2-beta2) released

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:10:21 +0100
Beniamino Galvani <bgalvani redhat com> wrote:

I'm pleased to announce the release of the second beta version of
NetworkManager 1.2 (1.1.91), and the same version of nm-applet,
nm-connection-editor and VPN plugins.

I've just now gotten around to trying this out, and there are a
few issues from my vantage point:

1. /var/run/NetworkManager/ is created with mode 0700, which is
   a problem because non-root clients are unable to read the
   resolv.conf inside it. On this system, /var/run is a bind
   mount to /run, which is mode 0755 itself, so I don't think
   this problem is a result of any local configuration.

2. Some manual pages were not installed, e.g. NetworkManager.conf(5),
   although nm-system-settings.conf(5), which directs users to the
   former, is installed. Looking at the Makefile.am, it appears that
   maybe these are autogenerated during tarball creating and shipped
   there as pregenerated files, but if so, that didn't happen with
   the 1.1.91 tarball.

3. This is related to #1. It seems as though maybe this is a
   configurable option based on the NEWS file contents, but without
   manual pages to reference, it's not clear. Essentially, we
   (Slackware) depend on /etc/resolv.conf being a regular file due
   to the fact that everything else on our system (including our
   distro-specific networking scripts) manipulate it directly.
   Having NM replace it with a symlink to an NM-specific location
   is not desirable at all. Is there a way to configure NM to use
   /etc/resolv.conf directly instead?

-RW