Re: NM and IETF MIF working group

On 28.09.2015 11:48, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Mon, 2015-09-07 at 12:05 +0200, Stjepan Groš wrote:
Two colleagues of mine and I started to work on MIF implementation on
Fedora. In case someone doesn't know, IETF MIF working group (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/mif/charter/) tries to solve the
problems of a single node having multiple parallel connections to
different destinations (Internet, VPN, some private networks, etc.).
Please ensure you take proxies into account.

If my local DHCP server handed me a proxy PAC file, and if I connect to
a split-tunnel VPN which *also* provides a proxy PAC file, I expect
that requests I make to to the company VPN (within its domain names and
IP ranges) to use one proxy configuration, while requests to the
Internet at large should use my local proxy.

If I understand it correctly, PAC information received from DHCP is send by NM via DBus, but otherwise not used in any way? So, it is necessary to use some tool like proxydriver (https://github.com/jimlawton/proxydriver) that will modify system settings based on this info?

In any case, this is interesting info because we didn't though of it. Namely, if browser is configured to use system proxy settings and it is placed within new namespace, then it might happen that wrong proxy is used, or global proxy settings are mixed up.

SG