NM and IETF MIF working group

Hi All!

Two colleagues of mine and I started to work on MIF implementation on Fedora. In case someone doesn't know, IETF MIF working group (https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/mif/charter/) tries to solve the problems of a single node having multiple parallel connections to different destinations (Internet, VPN, some private networks, etc.). For example, probably it happened to you, as it did to me, that after connecting to VPN all my existing connections were terminated and also VPN allowed me to access only a restricted set of destinations meaning that I wasn't able to use Internet while the VPN was active. I hope that the work on MIF will solve this issue, as well as many others.

So, it seems to me that the NetworkManager is the core component on the client side that will have to have functionality specified by MIF allowing node to use multiple connections in parallel (this, of course, doesn't mean that it is the only component that will have to be changed). But since we are at the very beginning of this, we would like to hear thoughts from developers about this? Did anyone tried to do this? Give any thought to this and come out with a possible solution, or problems?

Best regards,
Stjepan Groš