Re: MC 7304 ipv4v6

On Wed, 2015-11-25 at 08:51 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:

Well, if we're going to add rawip support, why bother emulating a
netdev at all?

(assuming you mean etherdev - we'll need the netdev in any case :)

Good question. Asked before, but I have fewer and fewer arguments. I
know Marcel H has wanted a raw device from the beginning.

I guess because it's convenient and we don't have to
destroy the existing wwan0 and create some other tun-type device
instead.  But still, seems odd that we'd set raw-ip mode and then
emulate ethernet when all that's really going back and forth is IP.

Yes, it is odd and it does create a few problems which the driver
tries
to hide.  It would be more honest to just let userspace decide what
do, e.g, wrt bridging.

So when the firmware finally gave up messing with the L2 headers, why
should the driver continue to do that? Make it raw IP all the way.
 Yes,
I'm starting to lean to that side as well.

The only "real" objection I once had was that I don't think there are
any DHCP clients on Linux that will work with such an interface. But
that is a lousy excuse. Using DHCP here is another bad idea, trying

The downside is that we know some QMI devices don't support the static
IP configuration returned by GetCurrentSettings.  They only allow DHCP,
or at least DHCP seems to kick the device into actually talking.
 However, maybe that's just a problem in 802.3 mode and raw-ip always
works on those devices with GetCurrentSettings static info?  Not sure,
but something to make sure we test...