Re: MC 7304 ipv4v6

Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:
On Wed, 2015-11-25 at 08:51 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:

The only "real" objection I once had was that I don't think there are
any DHCP clients on Linux that will work with such an interface. But
that is a lousy excuse. Using DHCP here is another bad idea, trying

The downside is that we know some QMI devices don't support the static
IP configuration returned by GetCurrentSettings.  They only allow DHCP,
or at least DHCP seems to kick the device into actually talking.
 However, maybe that's just a problem in 802.3 mode and raw-ip always
works on those devices with GetCurrentSettings static info?  Not sure,
but something to make sure we test...

That is likely an issue with the 802.3 firmware implementation. It
probably needs DHCP to know what mac address the client wants to use.
Based on the number of bugs we've seen in this area, my guess is that
there are multiple solutions of this problem - some from Qualcomm and
some from vendors.  And probably twice as many quirks and workarounds
for when it doesn't work...

But even if it is much simpler, I would be surprised if raw IP works for
all QMI devices/firmwares. I certainly don't think we can blindly assume
so. If we open this box, then we may have to deal with both kinds of
links for the forseeable future.

Maybe a "safe" split would be based on the presence of WDA? If WDA, then
try raw-ip, else continue to use 802.3. Then you at least have the
ability to check if the "set data format" succeeded. Most older devices
will probably default to 802.3 and be tested with that, with some
exceptions as usual.  I believe you had a Pantech UML290 which used raw
IP in Windows?

Bjørn