Re: NetworkManager kernel and udev/eudev dependency, gcc build dependency

On Fri, 2015-04-17 at 14:24 +0200, Petr Vorel wrote:
Hi there,

Which is a minimal required Linux kernel version and udev/eudev version required to run
NetworkManager 1.0? The only info about dependency I found is in LFS doc [1], but it does
not say anything about the kernel.

As udev version is somehow dependent on kernel I suppose any udev running on supported kernel
should be suitable, isn't it?

Commit [2] from seems to require kernel >= 3.15-rc5, on the other hand there are some
attempts to support older kernels [3].

AFAIK, there is no known minimal kernel-version (or minimal required
feature-set).

NM will try to accommodate to missing features and should mostly should
work -- of course, certain features might then not be available (such as
[2]).

IPv6 private addresses on older kernels without IFA_F_MANAGETEMPADDR
flag will not work.

And how about gcc build dependency?

I don't know, we make use of some GCC features (destructor and cleanup
attributes). But those should be around for a long time...

Try it and send a bug-report :)

Thanks a lot for any info.

Kind regards,
Petr