jhbuild run for NetworkManager

All,

I'm new to Gnome development and I'm looking to hack on NetworkManager. I've followed the instructions for setting up jhbuild and I've run the NetworkManager build but I can't use "jhbuild run" since NetworkManager requires root. When I try to run with sudo, jhbuild says it shouldn't be run as root. Is there a recommended way to hack on and test NetworkManager whether using jhbuild or something else so my normal system NetworkManager and settings aren't overwritten?

Thanks,

Eric