Fake internet connection

Hi guys,

I am not using nm-applet to connect to the Internet. I am using wvdial instead. (It is how tech support from my Internet provider set it up.)

Anyhow, applications like empathy and pidgin refuse to connect to the servers, because they think I don't have an Internet connection active. (I am using Ubuntu.)

How can I fool nm-applet in order to fake an Internet connection -- because I really am connected to the Internet, just not using nm-applet in the process.

Thanks a lot !