Re: Two WLANs with the same SSID but different connection names

Den 20. sep. 2012 19:23, skrev Dan Williams:
On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 16:47 +0200, Alexander Karlstad wrote:
Den 19. sep. 2012 14:23, skrev Marius Kotsbak:
Does the same happen if you remove autoconnect for both of them? Maybe
NM always autoconnect to the first one.

Turning off autoconnect to both networks actually did the trick. Still,
that means the autoconnect option overrides my manual selection. Not cool.

NM will autoconnect to a network that (a) has autoconnect selected, (b)
shows up in a scan result, and (c) matches the connection attributes.

So, if you have two networks with the same SSID and both use WPA/WPA2,
then NM will select the *last used* connection.  Because, for all NM
knows (and a lot of other wifi managers too) they are the same network
because they use the same SSID and same security type.  It's pretty bad
network planning to use the same SSID for actually different networks.

But this is not two different networks per se. The Eduroam-network is used all over the world at different educational institutions. The only difference here is that I have a user account at two different colleges, and sometimes you just get basic access when using a username/password from a different college. That's why I want to be able to use the two separatley.

The workaround was disabling autoconnect for this network, but it feels very much like a bug when I manually select which network I want to connect to doesn't work. Even though DBUS tells me it's using the right cridentials.

Maybe it's possible for someone else to test this?

--
Alexander Karlstad