Re: Grrrr ... dhcpd6

On 10/01/2012 12:47 PM, Jiri Popelka wrote:
On 10/01/2012 06:33 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
One of the problems I see is that, while there are a couple of viable dchp servers out there, where the ISC server is suppose to be the industrial strength one, dhclient seems to be the only client for the linux/*bsd/Unix systems.

I wonder if there is interest in reviving the defunct dhcpv6c effort?

If you mean https://fedorahosted.org/dhcpv6/ then no.
It was also one-guy effort and David Cantrell stopped the development immediately after ISC dhcp-4.1.0 was released.

Yes, there is dribbler but that seems like a one-guy effort and I do not see much support for it ... yes, dnsmasq is another one-guy effort but it also is popluar and has other people fixing things and submitting patches.

I have no experience with Dibbler, but I believe it's a good implementation because Tomasz Mrugalski is very active on dhcwg at ietf.org
Right now I believe we just grin and bear it with dhclient. Maybe ISC gets their act together, and mabe it does not. Maybe dribbler starts getting use and interest ... after all, dnsmasq seems to have gotten a lot of interest.

Time will tell.

Gene