Re: Grrrr ... dhcpd6

On 10/01/2012 11:44 AM, Jiri Popelka wrote:
On 09/27/2012 10:22 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:

also request fqdn.fqdn;
also request fqdn.hostname;
also request fqdn.domainname;

These are DHCPv4 options which DHCPv6 client doesn't know.

That is not clear. The dhcp-options man-page could be interpreted either way.

also request dhcp6.hostname;
also request dhcp6.domainname;

I can't find such options in dhcp-options(5).

I was grasping at straws.

also request dhcp6.domain-search;

This is requested by default as well as dhcp6.name-servers.
See request statement in dhclient.conf(5)

also request dhcp6.client-id;

dhcp6.client-id is provided by client so I see no reason to request it from server.

also request dhcp6.server-id;

I'd say that dhcpv6 server sends this by default, by it's only a guess.

This last requests are provided by dnsmasq so I thought it would be good to ask for them.

And then there is (draft) RFC4704 where it says "Servers SHOULD send the complete fully qualified domain name in Client FQDN options." But, then it is "just" a draft RFC so maybe it is OK to ignore this. I did not want to assume that what they were suppose to send to the client would be sent.

Regardless, the "current" patch had to "extra" stuff removed. And it does work ... integration is "in process."

Gene