Re: ANN: Release of NetworkManager 0.8.996 (0.9.0-beta2)

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 09:49 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 10.03.2011 18:00, schrieb Dan Williams:
> > other VPN plugins may/may not follow depending on whether we find and
> > fix bugs.  Thanks to everyone so far for their testing, lets keep at it
> > til we're done.
>
> Been testing the 0.8.996 packages. Looking quite ok so far.
>
> Some impressions:
>
> - Import of user settings worked fine when restarting nm-applet.
>
> - libnm-glib api doc contains invalid xml: Object Hierarchy, API Index and
> Glossary are not shown in the devhelp documentation.
>
> "public" and "private" system connections:
>  private: permissions=user:michael:; is set
>  public: no permissions settings, global to all users.

I just uploaded new docs which should have some of these issues fixed.

> - nm-connection-editor does not yet correctly distinguish between system
> settings available to all users and "private" system settings available only to
> the user. For all connections, the Edit button says that it needs authorization,
> even if this is not true, and the "available to all users" checkbox is also set
> for every connection, even the private ones.
>
> - I can edit public system connections without authorization through policykit!!!

org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system now defaults to
"yes", but may be locked down on a per-user basis via PolicyKit.
Perhaps we should review that decision, but the core issue is that it
would be odd to require a user to authenticate to connect to a new WiFi
AP in a default install.  If that were the case, you'd authenticate when
you clicked a new AP from an applet menu so you could create the
connection, and then you'd authenticate when you had to type the WPA-PSK
since that's also modifying a system connection.

All connections are now system-wide by default, which is checked against
the org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system permission.
System-wide-by-default was something that Ubuntu requested last year and
matches the behavior of other OSes as well.

Or maybe we discuss this a bit?  Ideas?  What should the defaults be?

At some point we need the ability to add/remove user permissions in the
editor though.

> - nm-applet does not show the correct signal strength, see attached screenshot.
> Might be a NM issue though, as nm-tool lists either Strength 1 or 2 for those
> wireless networks, which is clearly wrong. (I'm using wpasupplicant 0.7.3 + the
> BSS events patch)

Running with "--no-daemon --log-level=debug
--log-domains=CORE,HW,WIFI,WIFI_SCAN" should print out more info about
signal strengths NM gets from the the kernel and help us pinpoint the
issue.