Re: ANN: Release of NetworkManager 0.8.996 (0.9.0-beta2)

Dan Williams wrote:
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system now defaults to
> "yes", but may be locked down on a per-user basis via PolicyKit.
> Perhaps we should review that decision, but the core issue is that it
> would be odd to require a user to authenticate to connect to a new WiFi
> AP in a default install.  If that were the case, you'd authenticate when
> you clicked a new AP from an applet menu so you could create the
> connection, and then you'd authenticate when you had to type the WPA-PSK
> since that's also modifying a system connection.

You could make NetworkManager remember that the connection
definition is still incomplete and not require to authorize again
when the same user is filling in the missing pieces.

> All connections are now system-wide by default, which is checked against
> the org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system permission.
> System-wide-by-default was something that Ubuntu requested last year and
> matches the behavior of other OSes as well.

That's great. I wish NM would have done that right from the start.

> Or maybe we discuss this a bit?  Ideas?  What should the defaults be?

Require authorization for anything unusual. I know noone who needs
to modify connections all the time. On the contrary, users starting
to mess with network settings that worked before usually indicates
an error condition.

cu
Ludwig

--