Re: [RFC] Fast-user-switching plans

On 28 May 2010 21:41, Martijn Lievaart <m rtij nl> wrote:
Very cool! Sounds like there is still much more integration needed -- the whole user environment should use such a namespace, and the global networkmanager can interact with the user namespaces --, but definately a great step in the right direction. I any work done into moving a user environment into such a namespace?

M4

None that I know of. As far as I'm aware this is a very fresh project and is only used by the linux containers project to create entirely segregated containers to run as virtual machines. If we were to head down this route, how would it be achieved? Perhaps there could be a network namespace per user where all the user's own connections are and then a global one for global connections (naturally a bridge interface between the two for one the user just wants to use the globally available connection). This would solve the highly contrived use case of already having an internet connection and wanting to connect via 3g in a different session; however it would not solve the problem of wanting to connect to a different wireless access point if the wireless card is already in use by another session. Perhaps more thought is needed on that...?