Re: [RFC] Fast-user-switching plans

On 05/28/2010 07:13 PM, Graham Lyon wrote:
Now I'm no expert on this particular area but I recall that there are now several ways to break a system up into "containers" [1] which is often used to do things like virtualisation. However, would it be possible to utilize the network "namespace" component [2] in order to break off a user's mobile broadband connection into a namespace that only their processes have access to? I'm just bringing this up because maybe the technology to do what everyone seems to agree "should" be possible already is in the kernel.

Like I said, I'm no expert but I think I'll read into it out of curiosity... just wanted to throw it out there for anyone else who might be curious about looking down this path...

-Graham

[1] http://lxc.sourceforge.net <http://lxc.sourceforge.net/>
[2] http://lxc.sourceforge.net/network.php

Very cool! Sounds like there is still much more integration needed -- the whole user environment should use such a namespace, and the global networkmanager can interact with the user namespaces --, but definately a great step in the right direction. I any work done into moving a user environment into such a namespace?

M4