Re: [RFC] Fast-user-switching plans

2010/5/27 Ludwig Nussel <ludwig nussel suse de>:

>> I don't agree. Historically, network connections was a system-wide
>> resource. But if you start thinking that a 3G connection is a personal
>> resource, as personal as a cellphone, you will see that we need a
>> better model that the one we use nowadays. This is because any user,
>> and any process, may use this resource, without any control.
>
> Sure, you have to trust the computer you plug your device into.

And that's the point. If the system offers us the separation of
resources like files, why can't a network connection be personal?

>> You can imagine that one user start a P2P download, with some kind of
>> client, said, amule, then leaves the machine's console. Then another
>> user comes to the console, and opens a new session, without logging
>> out the previous one. A classical case of "user switching".
>>
>> The he/she plugs in a 3g modem, and start a new connection. As the
>> network settings, now, are system wide, the connection stablished by
>> the user will be used by the amule process left by the previous user,
>> also.
>
> A computer system shared by multiple users at the same time where
> every user has to bring his own modem to get the system online? That
> sounds rather unrealistic to me.

This is because you're thinking only on the system side. "I do have a
network connection, why do this user needs another one?"

But, try to look from the user point of view: "The network connection
that this computer offers me doesn't fits my needs. I have this other
connection that's better to me, but I don't want that other users on
the same machine use it, as it is charged by traffic".