Re: Disabling wireless networking.

Dan Williams wrote:

>>> Second is that NM 0.8.x has IPv6 support, and if you're running that
>>> version you can set your wifi connection's IPv6 method to "ignore", and
>>> NM will not start IPv6 on that interface.
>> I *am* getting RA IPv6 address.
> For backwards compatibility reasons, NM won't suppress the kernel's
> automatic IPv6 ability if it's been enabled via /proc by your
> distribution's init scripts.  What we probably should do is add a
> "disabled" method that will actually turn stuff off.

I was not complaining :) Just wanted to point out the 'ignore' does not mean
that you will have IPv6 disabled on the interface.

> I'll have to check out your original problem again and make sure that
> what we expect to happen does happen.

That was probably some problem in keyfile plugin which is unable to edit
system-wide ipv6 settings, but I did not investigate further yet.

>> About the original question: isn't there any way to specify metric on the routes
>> that would make the kernel always "prefer" the Ethernet interface?
>
> It should do that already; the priority order that controls how NM
> assigns the default route is (unless you've checked "Only use this
> connection for resources on its network" in the Routes dialog of the
> connection editor):
>
> 1. Ethernet
> 2. Wifi
> 3. 3G/Bluetooth

This may be the solution for the guy who asked the original question (if NM does
all of the above right for IPv6).

> But you can also set a metric on routes you add yourself through the
> "Routes" dialog in the connection editor.

As was pointed out, apparently the kernel ignores metric value nowdays.

Eugene