Re: Disabling wireless networking.

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 10:04 +0300, Eugene Crosser wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > Second is that NM 0.8.x has IPv6 support, and if you're running that
> > version you can set your wifi connection's IPv6 method to "ignore", and
> > NM will not start IPv6 on that interface.
>
> network-manager:
>   Installed: 0.8~a~git.20091013t193206.679d548-0ubuntu1
>
> IPv6 set to "ignore" in the connection editor.
> The router is running radvd.
>
> I *am* getting RA IPv6 address. As far as I understand, this is done by the
> kernel without the help of networkmanager or any other userspace. Actually, it
> works quite well *unless* I try to configure anything IPv6 related in the
> connection editor, as I have posted earlier ("Additional IPv6 address").

For backwards compatibility reasons, NM won't suppress the kernel's
automatic IPv6 ability if it's been enabled via /proc by your
distribution's init scripts.  What we probably should do is add a
"disabled" method that will actually turn stuff off.

Ignore means NM won't touch IPv6 on the interface, just like NM 0.7
didn't.

I'll have to check out your original problem again and make sure that
what we expect to happen does happen.

> About the original question: isn't there any way to specify metric on the routes
> that would make the kernel always "prefer" the Ethernet interface?

It should do that already; the priority order that controls how NM
assigns the default route is (unless you've checked "Only use this
connection for resources on its network" in the Routes dialog of the
connection editor):

1. Ethernet
2. Wifi
3. 3G/Bluetooth

But you can also set a metric on routes you add yourself through the
"Routes" dialog in the connection editor.