Re: Disabling wireless networking.

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 10:04 +0300, Eugene Crosser wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:

> > Second is that NM 0.8.x has IPv6 support, and if you're running that
> > version you can set your wifi connection's IPv6 method to "ignore", and
> > NM will not start IPv6 on that interface.

> network-manager:
>   Installed: 0.8~a~git.20091013t193206.679d548-0ubuntu1

> IPv6 set to "ignore" in the connection editor.
> The router is running radvd.

> I *am* getting RA IPv6 address. As far as I understand, this is done by the
> kernel without the help of networkmanager or any other userspace. Actually, it
> works quite well *unless* I try to configure anything IPv6 related in the
> connection editor, as I have posted earlier ("Additional IPv6 address").

That is correct.  You can not simply "ignore" RA's.  If you have IPv6
forwarding disabled in the kernel, you have a whole pile of settings
in /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/{interface} you have to switch and have
correct in order to disable that.  There are like 5 accept_ra_* settings
for accepting various things from the router advertisement and you've
got some stuff with router_probe and router_solicitation that have to be
set right.  If you have IPv6 forwarding enabled both autoconf and RA/RD
are automatically disabled (but ND is enabled any time IPv6 is enabled).

> About the original question: isn't there any way to specify metric on the routes
> that would make the kernel always "prefer" the Ethernet interface?

IIRC...  The "metric" settings are ignored by modern Linux kernels.  At
least that's what's claimed by the ifconfig man page.  The man page on
"route" indicates it's used by router daemons.  As far as the kernel
preferences go, it says Metric is "The ’distance’ to the target (usually
counted in hops). It is not used by recent kernels, but may be needed by
routing daemons."  I know the value is there when you do an "ip -6 route
ls".  The man page on the "ip" command is terrible to begin with and
really says nothing about metric other than that it's a number.

> Eugene

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 985-6132 |  mhw WittsEnd com