Re: Managing a connection using D-Bus API

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Ozan Çağlayan <ozan pardus org tr> wrote:
> On 01.07.2010 16:46, Daenyth Blank wrote:
>> Can you post a link to your current code? I should be able to help you
>> out or I can add something to the API if there's nothing workable
>> right now. It is a little incomplete but should be able to get what
>> you want.
>
> http://svn.pardus.org.tr/uludag/trunk/playground/intern/network-client/network
>
> To answer you and Giovanni about why we're writing this instead of using nmcli, nm-util,etc:
>
> We (Pardus Linux[0]) used to use our own networking backend since these days. It was a python and D-Bus
> based networking backend which worked quite well but ever since the new connectivity
> technologies like CDMA, HSPA, VPN, etc. become popular, we've figured out that we are not able to
> maintain and improve it due to lack of time and hardware material.
>
> So with our upcoming releases, we'll migrate to NetworkManager+ModemManager but we don't want
> to break our own userspace utility's behaviour *network* which is an interactive command line tool
> helping users to edit/create/delete new ethernet and wi-fi profiles and managing them.

I believe it could help users of some other distros too. Why not
developing togheter with other NM frontends (nmcli / nm-applet)?
In particular with regard to modifying connections, you should follow
closely, as they plan to change the way settings are stored

> That's way one of our internship students now tries to port it to NM using python-networkmanager.
>
> BTW, does activate/deactivate closes and re-establishes the connection? I didn't have time to
> look at it but that's what my student said. So it seems that he's using connect() disconnect()
> for completely bringing down the interface.

According to NetworkManager docs (
http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/spec-08.html ),
you can deactivate a connection using NM.DeactivateConnection() (or
the binding equivalent), except that nm-applet will detect the
connection going down and, not knowing why, will immediately
reconnect.
Still reading the docs, Device.Disconnect() says that it brings down
it, and no process is allowed to bring it up again without user
intervention (so you're safe from nm-applet). No mention is that you
need to have a connection on it first.