Re: Managing a connection using D-Bus API

On 01.07.2010 16:46, Daenyth Blank wrote:
> Can you post a link to your current code? I should be able to help you
> out or I can add something to the API if there's nothing workable
> right now. It is a little incomplete but should be able to get what
> you want.

http://svn.pardus.org.tr/uludag/trunk/playground/intern/network-client/network

To answer you and Giovanni about why we're writing this instead of using nmcli, nm-util,etc:

We (Pardus Linux[0]) used to use our own networking backend since these days. It was a python and D-Bus
based networking backend which worked quite well but ever since the new connectivity
technologies like CDMA, HSPA, VPN, etc. become popular, we've figured out that we are not able to
maintain and improve it due to lack of time and hardware material.

So with our upcoming releases, we'll migrate to NetworkManager+ModemManager but we don't want
to break our own userspace utility's behaviour *network* which is an interactive command line tool
helping users to edit/create/delete new ethernet and wi-fi profiles and managing them.

That's way one of our internship students now tries to port it to NM using python-networkmanager.

BTW, does activate/deactivate closes and re-establishes the connection? I didn't have time to
look at it but that's what my student said. So it seems that he's using connect() disconnect()
for completely bringing down the interface.

Thanks for your helps
Ozan Caglayan

[0]: http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng