RE: scripting settings

Thanks, my modem is working now and I can upload data. I put the
following  in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/amGsm.ini
[connection]
id=pbGsmConnection
uuid=016b60fb-8c37-4d75-be33-142d2a0fd849
type=gsm
autoconnect=true
timestamp=0
managed=true

[gsm]
apn=3internet
band=0
name=gsm
number=*99#

[serial]
baud=115200
name=serial

And activated the connection with

dbus-send --system --print-reply --type=method_call
--dest="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.ActivateConnection"
string:"org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings"
objpath:"/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/0"
objpath:"/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1" objpath:"/"

I was wondering what to do with the uuid and how to ensure this is
unique?
Interestingly when I try and use this setting on Ubuntu I reset my Auto
eth0 connection.

I also noticed that when using the 3G modem and trying to login to my
website
for the data transfer the hostname could only occasionally be resolved.
If I
used the IP address there was not an issue & I connected every time.