Re: scripting settings

On Friday 10 of December 2010 15:32:54 Andy Maginnis wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to script a setup for NetworkManager for 3G modems. I can
> successfully
> populate /home/op/.gconf/system/networking/connections with additional
> GSM configurations using dbus-send i.e. 2,3,4,5 etc but I cannot get
> network
> manager to read these configurations.
> I am guess that I need to register these somehow so that when I open
> the nm-connections-editor they are visible.
> Any pointers much appreciated.

How do you edit the configuration files? If you edit them directly, that's a
problem since GConf manages configuration via its daemon and can discard your
changes. You should consider using gconftool-2 to edit the configuration.

You can simply dump a connection to a file:
gconftool-2 --dump /system/networking/connections/1 > myconnnection.conf

edit the file and then load it as a new configuration:
gconftool-2 --load myconnnection.conf

If there is an error in a configuration, nm-connection-editor should complain
when reading it (see .xsession-errors or output on terminal).

Useful links:
http://library.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/gconf-8.html.en
http://markmail.org/message/wridmhuk73cq44ft
http://superuser.com/questions/189849/gnome-terminal-overwriting-ignoring-
manual-file-changes-to-gconf-xml-profiles

Jirka