Re: scripting settings

On Monday 13 of December 2010 21:41:15 Andy Maginnis wrote:
> I was using
> gconftool-2 --set .....
> to set the values. Thank you for the suggestion it works easily on my
> Ubuntu setup,
> that I am using to debug my script base.
>
> However on my target device, a Gumstix Overo, I cannot seem to get the
> connection
> info to load. It is like I have no system settings service. I can see my
> modem being
> recognised by dbus-monitor, I just cannot activate a connection.
> "Connection was not provided by any settings service"

If you have no GUI (i.e. nm-applet), it means that you have no user setting
service. So you can't use configuration in GConf; there is nobody who will read
it.
On the other hand you should have system settings service as it is in
NetworkManager daemon (in version 0.8). I suggest you use keyfile plugin and
store your configuration in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections

See http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/SystemSettings for description of
setting services.

> On this device I have no Gui and currently no qdbus on the system. I do
> have nmcli.
> I am finding debug tricky at present. Any debug suggestions would be
> much appreciated.

You can use 'nmcli con' to list your connections. And also you should have
dbus-send (part of dbus package) that you can use instead of qdbus.

dbus-send --system --print-reply --
dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.ListConnections

will list system-wide connections.

dbus-send --system --print-reply --
dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.ListConnections

will probably yield this error, because user settings service is not running:
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings was not provided by any .service
files

Logs from NetworkManager are written by syslog to /var/log/messages,
/var/log/daemon.log or like.

Jirka