Re: Network Manager patched on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:49:57PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 09:36 +0000, Cian Masterson wrote:
> > 2009/11/17 Louigi Verona <louigi verona gmail com>:
> > > 2. When I boot the system, NM would try to automatically connect to some
> > > Wired connection lfupdown (eth1). It seems to be there by default. Since I
> > > have no wired connection, it of course, always fails. I cannot edit it, the
> > > Edit button is grayed out when I select this connection. I tried making my
> > > DSL connection automatically connect, but then it begins to ask for password
> > > and says again "Insufficient privileges" and I have to start over again. Is
> > > there any way to remove this default non-existing connection?
> >
> > This happened to me too, although in my case it was "ifupdown (eth3)".
> >  This left my laptop with no network access because my wired
> > connection (which was eth5 in Jaunty) wasn't being recognised.  I
> > tried editing /etc/network/interfaces by hand but that didn't work
> > either.  Long story short I deleted /etc/network/interfaces, rebooted
> > the machine and eth5 magically reappeared and everything worked fine
> > after that.
> >
> > Better minds than mine will know what actually happened but I am
> > assuming that a missing /etc/network/interfaces forced Ubuntu/Network
> > Manager to re-scan the hardware or something.  As per usual if you try
> > this route yourself I recommend moving /etc/network/interfaces to
> > /etc/network/interfaces.broken or something instead of deleting it.
> > YMMV but this worked for me.
>
> If people are running into problems like this on Ubuntu, the best thing
> to do to help debug the issue is to either file a bug report in
> Launchpad, or grab your /var/log/NetworkManager.log file, or if that
> doesn't exist /var/log/daemon.log and send it to this list so that we
> can try to figure out what's going on.

we have wiki pages that document what best to attach to ubuntu bugs:

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingNetworkManager
 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingModemmanager

if there are suggestsions whatelse to include/how to improve this, let
me know.

 - Alexander