Re: Network Manager patched on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10

2009/11/17 Louigi Verona <louigi verona gmail com>:
> 2. When I boot the system, NM would try to automatically connect to some
> Wired connection lfupdown (eth1). It seems to be there by default. Since I
> have no wired connection, it of course, always fails. I cannot edit it, the
> Edit button is grayed out when I select this connection. I tried making my
> DSL connection automatically connect, but then it begins to ask for password
> and says again "Insufficient privileges" and I have to start over again. Is
> there any way to remove this default non-existing connection?

This happened to me too, although in my case it was "ifupdown (eth3)".
 This left my laptop with no network access because my wired
connection (which was eth5 in Jaunty) wasn't being recognised.  I
tried editing /etc/network/interfaces by hand but that didn't work
either.  Long story short I deleted /etc/network/interfaces, rebooted
the machine and eth5 magically reappeared and everything worked fine
after that.

Better minds than mine will know what actually happened but I am
assuming that a missing /etc/network/interfaces forced Ubuntu/Network
Manager to re-scan the hardware or something.  As per usual if you try
this route yourself I recommend moving /etc/network/interfaces to
/etc/network/interfaces.broken or something instead of deleting it.
YMMV but this worked for me.