Re: Network Manager patched on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 08:59 -0500, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> Dan Williams wrote:

> >> I have another one for Karmic, and I can do that as well. I've noticed
> >> that there does not seem to be any way to get it to pay any attention to
> >> an Ad-Hoc network. When I'm in range, the network appears in the
> >> knetworkmanager applet, but if I click on it, nothing happens (much the
> >> same as a hidden network did in a case we'd discussed in the past). I'm
> >> not sure what the debug info would say, but it should be interesting to
> >> find out. It looks like absolutely nothing happens at all.
> >
> > Can I get some /var/log/NetworkManager output from that?  Based on that
> > we can enable wpa_supplicant debugging and find out from there.
>
> It's daemon.log for me. Looks like this is what happens:
>
> Nov 18 08:56:19 novosirj-laptop NetworkManager: <WARN>
> wait_for_connection_expired(): Connection (2)
> /org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/2 failed to activate (timeout):
> (0) Connection was not provided by any settings service
> Nov 18 08:56:48 novosirj-laptop NetworkManager: <WARN>
> wait_for_connection_expired(): Connection (2)
> /org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/2 failed to activate (timeout):
> (0) Connection was not provided by any settings service
> Nov 18 08:56:51 novosirj-laptop wpa_supplicant[1256]:
> CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
> Nov 18 08:56:51 novosirj-laptop wpa_supplicant[1256]: WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
> Nov 18 08:57:00 novosirj-laptop NetworkManager: <WARN>
> wait_for_connection_expired(): Connection (2)
> /org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/2 failed to activate (timeout):
> (0) Connection was not provided by any settings service
> Nov 18 08:57:08 novosirj-laptop NetworkManager: <WARN>
> wait_for_connection_expired(): Connection (2)
> /org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/2 failed to activate (timeout):
> (0) Connection was not provided by any settings service
> Nov 18 08:57:20 novosirj-laptop NetworkManager: <WARN>
> wait_for_connection_expired(): Connection (2)
> /org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/2 failed to activate (timeout):
> (0) Connection was not provided by any settings service
>
> Each one of those activate timeouts is a result of me clicking the
> network and waiting 5-6 seconds. Didn't know to look in that log or I
> would have Google'd this one sooner (which I'll do now to see if it gets
> me anyplace).

So this log indicates that the applet isn't creating the connection
correctly and providing it to NetworkManager after you click the
network.  Is this actually knetworkmanager, or is this the KDE4 widget?
knetworkmanager itself (the old standalone applet) is no longer
developed and only works with NM 0.7.x actually.