Re: Network Manager changes between Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10.

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 15:28 -0700, Chris Hessing wrote:
> I have some code based off the script from
> http://osdir.com/ml/networkmanager-list/2009-07/msg00035.html that is
> used to add a system level connection to the configuration on a
> machine.  It worked great on Ubuntu 9.04.  However, in Ubuntu 9.10, I am
> getting the error :
>
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "AddConnection" with
> signature "a{sa{ss}}" on interface
> "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.System" doesn't exist.
>

> This error comes out of the script from the URL above.  The same script
> still works perfectly on Ubuntu 9.04.   Any hints on what changed?

I've recently put up the NM 0.8 spec:

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager

in NM 0.8, AddConnection will return the object path of the new
connection you just added, allowing you to skip a bunch of steps.  In NM
0.7 it returned nothing, meaning you had to wait around for a
NewConnection signal and match up the UUID of the new connection with
teh one you'd just called AddConnection for.  You no longer need to do
that with NM 0.8.

With python for example, it should be quite easy to handle both NM 0.8
and NM 0.7 with a few extra lines; try the NM 0.8 method first, and if
that fails with the "doesn't exist" error, try the NM 0.7 method.