Re: network manager and GSM IrDA connection

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 22:07 +0100, Ferry Toth wrote:
> I have a GSM with GPRS that connects using IrDA.
>
> I can setup a connection manually, but I need it to be done by network
> manager as that notifies my applications an internet connection is
> available.
>
> I can not find how to configure nm so that it is notified that irda is
> up, so that nm can start the pppd.
>
> What I am trying to achieve is let udev do the work for setting up the
> irda connection, but don't know how nm is triggered. Do I need to send
> a dbus message?

NM 0.7 or 0.8?

With NM 0.7, a callout helper is used to probe the device for its
capabilities when the serial port shows up.  But the prober is limited
to known mobile broadband devices, and IrDA isn't one of them.  You'll
need to find out the driver for your irda serial port (it's probably
"ircomm_tty") and then add that to this line
in /lib/udev/rules.d/77-nm-probe-modem-capabilities.rules :

# Only probe known mobile broadband drivers
DRIVERS=="option|sierra|hso|cdc_acm|qcserial|moto-modem", GOTO="probe"

That will cause NM to probe the port for mobile broadband support when
the port shows up, so make sure your phone is on and it's all connected
and everything.

For NM 0.8, ModemManager is used and it'll just probe every serial port
at the moment (we'll fix that).  Here, make sure it all works by
stopping NM and modem-manager, then run "modem-manager --debug" and get
the irda port set up and see if ModemManager find it.  If not, we can
try to debug from there.

I'm not sure about natively supporting IrDA since that seems to be going
out, but if the patches aren't huge it's probably a win.