Re: Network Manager does not find system wide connections

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 13:31 -0400, John Mahoney wrote:
> Here is a quick, incomplete overview of the configs.  I recommend
> playing with the program cnetworkmanager to see how the dbus works.
>
> The following Doc assumes Ubuntu 9.04 with Gnome
> This doc has no License feel free to edit, sell, hide, destroy,
> distribute.
> User-settings
> Note - only the first person logged into the system has access to
> user-settings.(needs verification)

Correct.

> user settings are stored in the directory
> ~/.gconf/system/networking/connections/[num] and
> ~/.gconf/system/networking/wireless/networks
>         -(note:someone please differentiate the two folders)
>         -each number is a folder representing a connection(Ethernet,
> wifi, cellular, etc)
>         -most these settings can be changed through
> system--->Preferences--->Network Connections
> The preferred method to view these settings is through
> gcong-editor( most those settings can be changed through the
> Network-Manager GUI and that is the preferred method)
> Applications--->Accessories--Terminal
> user user-laptop:~$ gconf-editor
> system--->networking--->networking
>                                 |-->connections
>                                 |-->wireless
> #*************************************************************************************
> System settings
> -These connections are available to all users and before xserver
> loads(needs verification)

Correct.

> -System connections are stored
> in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/

Not entirely correct.  System connections are provided by plugins, and
the plugin may read/write the connections it provides from anywhere.
Their main purpose is to interpret the normal distro network config
files so you don't  have to learn some new config format if you don't
want to.  So, of the plugins currently available:

keyfile (rw): /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
ifcfg-rh (rw): /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
ifcfg-suse (r): /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
ifupdown (r): /etc/network/interfaces

(rw) = read/write capability, (r) = read-only

Dan