Re: Network Manager does not find system wide connections

Here is a quick, incomplete overview of the configs.  I recommend playing with the program cnetworkmanager to see how the dbus works.

The following Doc assumes Ubuntu 9.04 with Gnome
This doc has no License feel free to edit, sell, hide, destroy, distribute.
User-settings
Note - only the first person logged into the system has access to user-settings.(needs verification)
user settings are stored in the directory ~/.gconf/system/networking/connections/[num] and ~/.gconf/system/networking/wireless/networks
        -(note:someone please differentiate the two folders)
        -each number is a folder representing a connection(Ethernet, wifi, cellular, etc)
        -most these settings can be changed through system--->Preferences--->Network Connections
The preferred method to view these settings is through gcong-editor( most those settings can be changed through the Network-Manager GUI and that is the preferred method)
Applications--->Accessories--Terminal
user user-laptop:~$ gconf-editor
system--->networking--->networking

                                |-->connections

                                |-->wireless
#*************************************************************************************
System settings
-These connections are available to all users and before xserver loads(needs verification)
-System connections are stored in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
#************************************************************************************
Fun facts
*go to system--->Preferences--->Network Connections
-To make a user setting available as a system setting
        *highlight connection, select edit, and check box Available to all users(bottom corner)
-If a connection is not a wan and will only be used for local access(aka. never get default route)
        *highlight connection, select edit, select tab ipv4 settings, select routes, check box "use connection for resource on its network"
        *note:you can also add custom routes to be added in this area

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 7:14 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard eircom net> wrote:
Brian Morrison wrote:

>> The whole point of Linux is that it is not magic;
>> you are meant to be able to work out what is going on.

> There is a complex interaction between NM, dbus and various other
> things like udev, hal (becoming deprecated), PolicyKit etc. All of
> these packages do something different but in a way that isn't always
> clear.
>
> If anyone has any bright ideas about how to describe their interaction
> in a clear and simple manner please go ahead. I have not managed to
> work it out completely, so I suppose I should feel lucky that NM works
> for me.

You clearly have a pretty good idea of how NM works.
If you, or someone like you, could just pen a short account
that would be immensely helpful.
If there were mistakes they could quickly be corrected.

I would love to know, for example, which files NM looks at,
or which files one can usefully change.
I just get hints from time to time in various postings
but there doesn't seem to be anything written down.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net