Re: GSM modems supported by network-manager-0.7 - help!

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 17:01 +0200, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> 2008/9/15 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:
>
> > 10-modem.fdi is the authoritative list of
> > cellular devices supported by NetworkManager.  If it's not in that list,
> > it's not supported.
>
> One of the entries is:
>       <!-- Huawei -->
>       <match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x12d1">
>         <!-- E220,E220bis -->
>         <match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int_outof="0x1003;0x1004">
>
> <http://public.warp.es/wader/browser/trunk/plugins/devices/huawei_exxx.py>
> suggests that E870 has product_id = 0x1003 too (or possibly 0x1004).
> Does it mean it will work?
>
> OTOH E620 has product_id = 0x1001, which is present in my
> 10-modem.fdi, but it has been reported on
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G> as not working
> with nm-0.7 (although working with pon). Perhaps this was before
> updating 10-modem.fdi?

The bug report for that one doesn't have any logs, I'd need to see some
logs with SERIAL_DEBUG defined in nm-serial-device.c.  I also don't see
a GCAP or GCDCONT in there to really figure out what it does report.

I do admit that the "IPWireless 4G" card isn't supported yet because
it's a slightly different beast than all the rest and isn't really GSM.
The same was true for newer Option cards that use some proprietary
commands to complete the connection (though that's now supported).  If
the parts don't really support the relevant standards then they probably
shouldn't be listed in 10-modem.fdi.