Re: GSM modems supported by network-manager-0.7 - help!

After a visit at the GSM provider I have a different choice of modems
which are available with newer billing plans:
- Huawei E180 (USB)
- Huawei E272 (USB)
- Huawei E870 (ExpressCard)
- Huawei E230 (USB)
all supporting HSPA. Unfortunately I will not be able to test the
modem before committing to the contract (this kind of testing is
available only with E800 and E220).

My primary question is now whether E870 will work, which would be my
primary choice if it works. I have found the following stories about
it:

* http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=192368 - It did not
work for somebody in June 2008 with network-manager, although it did
work with Gnome PPP. No answers, and it could be an older nm. Do you
recognize the problem, and is it solved in nm-0.7?

* http://www.theirishpenguin.com/2008/03/26/getting-the-huawei-e870-to-work-on-kubuntu-and-mobile-internet-from-o2/#comment-636
and the following comments - It did work for somebody in July 2008
with some tweaks. Is it true that huaweiAktBbo is no longer needed
with kernels above 2.6.20? Did they really use an older kernel in July
if they needed this tweakage? The main article is scary, with wvdial
etc., but it was from March and comments are more promising. Can I
assume that it will work out of the box on Hardy with nm-0.7?

My /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi has some
entries for E600 and E220. Should I assume that lack of entries for
others means that they don't need model-specific tweakage, rather than
that they are not supported?

--
Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak knm org pl