RE: default route problem

Dear all,

I don't know if problem I had is the same of yours:
When I try to connect to a WiFi network, I can't get a route to default
gateway. I discovered that default gateway is not in the same subnet I am;
for example, I got IP 10.2.203.20, netmask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway
was 10.2.0.1.
I solved by, manually, add a static route to 10.2.0.0/255.255.0.0 and a
route to default gateway.
I noticed that Windows machines do this automatically.
Could this detection (of local network and gateway in different subnets) be
done automatically?

Thanks,

Carlos