Re: 0.7.0 anytime soon?

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 22:50 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 09:13 -0800, Alexey Neyman wrote:
>

> >> It would be nice if I could ask NM to publish its settings into system:
> >> e.g. have a check box in the passphrase dialog that instructs it to
> >> publish the settings system-wide.
> >
> > This will be available through the Connection editor; you'll be able to
> > do exactly that through a button there, assuming you have the
> > appropriate permissions.
>
> How will these system-wide settings created by the connection editor be
> stored? Will it use gconf for that?

Each plugin will need to know how to write it's native config file
format.  I haven't written a GConf plugin yet, but it would certainly be
possible to have one that sets GConf mandatory/default settings or
whatever, but you still have to store the secrets somewhere even for the
GConf plugin, and that can't be in GConf since everyone would be able to
read the mandatory/default settings.  That's pretty simple though.

> The interface defined by system-settings/src seems to be read only
> i.e. the nm-system-settings plugins (like ifcfg-fedora) only read
> configuration but don't allow to write/store them (which I think is good
> btw)

I haven't speced out the interface for writing yet, but it will largely
consist of the connection editor asking the system settings service to
update a connection, which will ask PolicyKit for the authorization,
which will then let the system settings service know it's OK, which will
then have the system settings service ask the plugin to write out the
NMConnection object.

It's likely to be pretty simple:

org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.NewConnection(a{sa{sv}):b
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection.SetSettings(a{sa{sv}}):b

or something like that.  Each one would throw a permissions error if for
some reason the user was not authorized.  The applet would simply not
implement those methods because it's kinda pointless to have the applet
allow other processes to set stuff.