Re: 0.7.0 anytime soon?

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 09:13 -0800, Alexey Neyman wrote:
> On Monday 11 February 2008 06:12:39 am Dan Williams wrote:
> > At the moment, through system-config-network, which only supports WEP
> > and unencrypted networks.  I'm working on adding support to the config
> > file format for WPA and dynamic WEP stuff.  So if you set up a wireless
> > connection through s-c-n, NM should find it.
>
> As far as I understood, WPA-PSK cannot be used via system-config-network
> for now? Then probably, the fact that my AP is configured for WPA-PSK is
> the reason I have problems configuring it via s-c-n.

Right.  You can't do WPA anything or Dynamic WEP with s-c-n yet since
neither it nor the config file syntax supports it.

> The problem is that I can't get it working through the s-c-n, for some
> mysterious reasons: I enter the same passphrase as I enter into
> nm-applet's prompt. The AP is associated with; but the 'dhclient eth1'
> (run as a part of 'ifup eth1') just hangs indefinitely.
> In /var/log/messages, there are repeated DHCPREQUEST lines logged. The
> same card/AP/passphrase work with NM, though.

Well, using ifup/ifdown (s-c-n's Activate/Deactivate) is mutually
exclusive with NetworkManager.  It just happens that you can use s-c-n
to _configure_ the device right now until we get the connection editor
save functionality implemented.

> Googling for this problem suggested wrong key being supplied. I modified
> NM to output the passphrase it supplies to wpa_supplicant in clear text
> into /var/log/messages; it was the same as the one I entered into s-c-n
> (tried both ASCII and HEX variants).
>
> It would be nice if I could ask NM to publish its settings into system:
> e.g. have a check box in the passphrase dialog that instructs it to
> publish the settings system-wide.

This will be available through the Connection editor; you'll be able to
do exactly that through a button there, assuming you have the
appropriate permissions.