Re: NM using Option card

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 21:40 +0100, Markus Becker wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 21:19 +0100, Markus Becker wrote:
Feb  7 20:56:34 shelbyville pppd[10716]: Could not determine remote
IP
address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64

Searching the web for this, reveals, that this seems to be very common
with UMTS dialup, but works nevertheless, if the DNS is correct, e.g.
something like 194.48.139.254. If I enter that manually into
/etc/resolv.conf, the connection works. But why is ppp not getting DNS
addresses?

Any chance you could patch the nm-pppd-helper binary to write all the
options it gets out to a file somewhere and then send that to the list?

You mean nm-ppp-manager.c or the ppp executable? nm-ppp-manager already outputs the command line: Feb 7 21:38:35 shelbyville NetworkManager: <debug> [1202416715.931005] nm_ppp_manager_start(): Command line: /usr/sbin/pppd nodetach lock ttyUSB0 noauth refuse-eap refuse-chap nodeflate usepeerdns plugin /home/mab/install/lib/pppd/2.4.4/nm-pppd-plugin.so

If you mean ppp or something else, it would have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks,
Markus

That's what I had to do when debugging the P-t-P address thing, because
pppd squelches any output the plugin might print.  That would help us
figure out if your remote side has the issue, or if it's a
NetworkManager problem, and if so where in NetworkManager the problem
lies.

Dan

That bit looks suspect...  Never seen that message from pppd before, but
it might have something to do with it.  I had to modify the ppp helper
code when adding CDMA support to grab the remote IP address and set that
as the interface's P-t-P address, otherwise my Sprint cards wouldn't
work.  Previously to this, the interface's P-t-P address was getting set
to the same address as the interface address.

Ultimate fail:

pppd/ipcp.c
   if (ho->hisaddr == 0) {
	ho->hisaddr = htonl(0x0a404040 + ifunit);
	warn("Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to %I",
	     ho->hisaddr);
   }

WTF?????

Maybe NetworkManager should trap that magic and replace it with the
interface address like use to happen before.